Wednesday, August 25, 2010

When sleep won't come

Stars twinkle from behind pine trees,
I wonder if anyone else is watching them
as I am,
through the window pane,
laying in the orange glow of the light bulb,
listening to the hums from a half broken laptop.
A motor-cycle just sped by, interrupting the quiet..
I hear my daughter turn and the drone of a plane
I don't know what I'm listening for.
I should sleep.
Night owl, early bird, strange but I am both
not one or the other
Another perplexing fun fact about me.
Odd to be the only one enjoying the night
Now having a cold drink under the rays of streetlights that color the kitchen floors
No cheers
Only the gulping sound from my throat as liquid flows down
Good night is what my belch should sound like.

4 comments:

  1. Night owl or early bird...I'm definitely the latter. Lovely poem, Ayo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice poem.

    The Federal Ministry of Sleep warns that too much coffee is bad for your nights ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Ayo. The stillness of the night seen through your eyes. Wonderful.... It will be lovely to see you at Homemakers again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the lark in the house. I rarely see beyond midnight. LOL...

    ReplyDelete