Saturday, May 16, 2009

So far

People are different. Fact. People use different words differently. Fact. People also use the same words a lot if they have kept each other's companies or went to the same school. Fact.

Most of my friends from my secondary school days will identify with 'morning shows the day'. It somehow works it's way into our conversations and we do it just like it was done back then.

'Nincompoop' is another word commonly used in a particulary company I keep, a company of people who once knew a certain old French lecturer.Thinking of him alone, elicits a smile.

There are however, two words I cannot stand. Really, they just irritate me when used in pleasant speech. The words are, so far. Why do people use so far? You ask how things are going, they reply, 'very well, so far'.

They are asked to lead a prayer session. They begin, 'thank you Lord because nothing bad has happened to us so far'. Some even update their facebook status with something like 'this year has been good so far.'

Why so far? Do they not know that so far connotes impending doom? Like you are half surprised things are going well or are half expecting things to go sour. So far, reduces the weight of whatever comes before it and I think should not be used in this way.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I never thought about it like that but now that you have mentioned it it doesn't sound like a good phrase. What I dislike as well is when people ask me how far instead of how are you? What happened to good old how are you?

    Having said that, how far my friend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "nothing bad has happened to us so far"? that's terrible...meaning he/she is still expecting something bad to happen...lol

    I like ur last paragraph...u've summed it up really well...

    My 1st time here...n I likey...

    ReplyDelete